Friday, January 1, 2010

Oh Ten

It is officially day one of "Oh-10", as Josh's family friend Tom lovingly refers to it. We met some friends last night at a nearby place called "Luau", where they were rocking some 90's beats that were a total blast from the past: "Biggie Biggie Biggie, Can't you see....." is still running through my brain. It was a peer-filled crowd, which was nice. Since I'm almost middle-aged, I really couldn't have handled the wasted 21 year olds. I'm just not part of that mindset anymore. A few people were dancing on the bar and some of the girls on the dance floor were a little "friendly" with their dancing, but no one looked to be on the verge of puking. Josh and I drank so little, we felt absolutely no effects this morning. I love waking up and feeling fresh!

Some things I'm super excited about this year are my job, the fact that I just won a fellowship to study mammals in Nova Scotia in April, and the fact that I'll be going to NYC in the summer for a Writing Conference. Josh and I talked about making our Hawaii trip last summer an "annual trip", although the location can certainly change. I also just ordered a new sewing machine. I've never sewed with a machine before, but I've always wanted to. I just see so many great ideas out there and I am really anxious to try them out. Also, I have handsewn a good deal of things that could have taken a tenth of the time (at least!) if I had had a sewing machine. It will be nice to feel some more instant gratification!

As promised, I'm posting my resolutions for this year. I came across this blog post on Blue Cricket Design, where Shannon sometimes posts her craft ideas. Basically, Becca had received an email from one of her readers who had simply chosen a word to focus on for the year, rather than a list of unrememberable resolutions that are so difficult to keep in mind. The reader had chosen "Simplify", which I would imagine might apply to a multitude of aspects in her life: her schedule, the things in her home, the amount of pressure she puts on herself each day... I really liked this idea, so I chose to follow suit with my own words on which to focus. I decided upon "Follow Through" and "Consistency". I often start projects I don't finish. I get super excited about something and focus all of my energy on it, and then realize I am neglecting other things, so I don't finish it. I need to follow through on what I begin by also being consistent with the other things I'm doing. I need to consistently devote time just for me once a week (at least), as well as consistently devote time just for my family. I need to follow through with new efforts to better my life: organization, exercise, etc. I need to be consistent in doing these things in order to follow through. I think these two words will affect a great deal of things in my life, but remembering them will be easier than a list of specific resolutions. We'll see how things go!

No comments: