My first week (only 3 days with kids) is over and I'm POOPED! My Kinders are cute, but I can't help but keep comparing them to my Kinders in the inner city. They are definitely not as mature (understandable as they are coddled so much by mom and dad), but they come with less issues. I wouldn't say their needs are less, considering the sun rises and sets with these kiddos, but their needs are different. Even those that aren't only children act like they are: expecting that I should be able to tend to each one of them continuously. I feel drained by that, but I am working very hard on "training" them to share, work as a group, and care about how their actions affect others.
I am slowly beginning to understand that many of the teachers at my school are also sheltered in the sense that they've never really worked anywhere else. They haven't had to explore different ways of doing things and seem to be content with never trying anything new. This is frustrating to me because I, having worked in many different schools and with different demographics, can see lots of flaws with certain routines and instead of accepting them, I want to offer alternatives and solutions. They seem to think things aren't worth trying to change or don't even see them as problems or archaic ways of thinking. Unfortunately, being the new kid on the block, I don't really have a voice that's "allowed" to offer suggestions for change. I'm doing a lot of biting my tongue and, figuratively speaking, I just hope it doesn't start to bleed.
I slept til 11 am today, and I still feel like I could use a nap. I know I'll get more used to the energy drain in time. I just hope I don't get sick in the process! There is so much fear about contracting the H1N1 virus that I am seriously considering getting the shot when it comes out. I've never gotten a flu shot before, and I'm really wigged out about the thought of possibly getting ill as a result of getting it. Since a vaccine is giving you a small strain of the virus that it's vaccinating you against, there's a great probability I'll be sick right afterwards. Sounds like NO FUN.
I am going to Maura's bachelorette party tonight. I think it will be fun, but I'm not 100% on that since the group of girls attending often has me yawning. That's a horrible thing to say, I know, but it's the truth. Last night, we got to go see WICKED again. The touring cast could not compare to the cast we saw in LA, but I still enjoyed it. Josh and I were both so tired though, we came straight home afterwards and crashed. We were supposed to go for dinner after, but I was too exhausted to even consider eating. He's headed off to Port Townsend for "guy time" with Alan and to attend the Wooden Boat Festival. I think I'm headed off for a snooze on the couch before I have to get ready for the party. It's a shame I'm so tired because we are having beautiful summer weather this weekend and I should really go to the beach or at least a bike ride to take advantage. Maybe tomorrow....
No comments:
Post a Comment