I was forcibly displaced today. In the world of teaching, that's like accepting a transfer to another office without asking for it. I am still employed by the district, but I won't be teaching at my school next year. They had to displace a teacher at my school because of our budget being less next year, and it's a pretty common practice. When I questioned why it was me being displaced, my principal had to admit it was because she doesn't think the school is the right one for me. I could be wounded, but I hate it there and it isn't the right one for me. In actuality, I couldn't be happier with this decision. This is my way out.
Next month, jobs should open in the district that only in-district applicants can apply for. That will be me. If I don't get hired on to a school in that round, the district will still have to employ me and put me somewhere. I asked the principal if she would support me in this fight against the foster dads that I have going on. She said, "Absolutely." She told me she does not believe what they are doing to me is right. I hope she's telling the truth about having my back. Many people have told me she'd just as soon throw you under the bus than take a hit for any of her teachers, so I'm wary.
I haven't told the other K teacher yet, but she's going to be upset. Of course, she knows I want out, but I know she wanted me to be able to leave on my own accord--not be asked to go. I just can't suck up the way she does. I can't agree with choices this principal makes and I can't hide that. Most people can. I can't. I'm not right for the job because I can't fully support my principal. I just hope wherever I go next is different. I hope I can be somewhere I can be proud of. This may be public education, but there has to be some hope out there. There has to be at least one school in this district that doesn't lie and skimp and put blinders on. If there isn't, I'll have to admit this isn't the right job for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment