I went on a good hike today with the girls. We did Annette Lake, finally, but we're going to have to go back in August because we couldn't locate the lake*. Jane came instead of Vicky, and it was nice to talk with her. She is so much less exuberant than most of my friends, but she has feel-good qualities about her that shine through when you spend time with her one on one. I was totally unprepared for this hike. It was in the South Cascades, and I know it's realistic to expect snow in the mountains in May, but I was obviously having a brain fart when I got dressed this morning. In fact, I almost walked out of the house in shorts and my Chaco's. HA! Instead, luckily, I opted for jeans and my hiking boots, but that was only because I thought the terrain could have a lot of low ground coverage and I didn't want allergy issues. I should have worn synthetic pants and waterproof boots. There was so much snow, *we lost the trail over and over again and were forced to brave frozen snow drifts that left us stuck time and again with snow up to our thighs. It was hilarious and annoying and wet. But I loved being out there, with Lulu running wild and just being with the girls. It was good. Until...I fell. My left knee went down right onto a root curled up from under the ground. And as soon as I hit it, I knew. I knew I would be hurting something awful and indeed I am. I can't bend my leg without feeling excruciating pain. My knee cap is swollen round like a ball and it's just no bueno. I don't know how I'll manage tomorrow, but I will. Somehow.
I just ordered a new bag for myself. My pink timbuk2 bag has held up really well for the past 4 years, but the exterior has suffered some staining and I have really wanted to get a billboard bag. I ordered this one
which is made from an actual billboard. I wanted an eco-friendly bag that was fun and had all the features of my timbuk2. Fingers crossed, this fits the bill for what I want. I hate having to return things.
No comments:
Post a Comment