Forget about my complaint about not having summer plans. I'm going to Brazil in August! I usually hesitate to make such decisions, wanting the timing to be right or wanting to solidify my schedule completely (what to do with Lulu during that time, how much money will I need to take with me, etc.) but I thought, screw it, I'm going. Fares are less than they've ever been and I really, really deserve it. Does that sound conceited? I don't usually talk that way, so it feels a little weird to say it. But this year....it's been so hard on me. And I haven't been anywhere other than California and Indiana in the last 4 years. I need a complete getaway for a change.
I finally had my doctor's appointment today. I say finally because it feels like I've waited forever and a day for it to come about. I am seeing a Naturopath again because I need to know what my issues are and how to heal them from the inside out, rather than get a bandaid or a pill like from a traditional doctor. After 10+ years of asking doctors why I don't get my period regularly, why I'm experiencing abnormal changes to my body that are so clearly hormone related, she gave me the answers I needed. She said I am a classic case for PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I told her that all the tests that have been run by traditional doctors say my hormones are not out of wack. She said those tests are not always pinpointed to look for the exact hormones and that many people with PCOS are never diagnosed when only those tests are used as criteria. No one ever told me that, so of course I never considered PCOS even though I always thought it sounded like something I could relate to. She started me on several herbal supplements and is regulating my diet. Apparently, I don't eat enough protein or fats. She also feels that the amount of soy I ingest is not allowing my body to properly produce hormones. I always wondered about that. My diet truly is centered around soy, since I don't eat meat other than seafood and am allergic to dairy. It shouldn't be difficult to change my diet to include more of what she wants to see, though: When I eat an apple, I just need to eat PB with it. When I eat oatmeal for breakfast, I need to add some almonds. Instead of soy meats, I need to eat fish. We're due for a grocery trip, so I'll make sure to keep these things in mind. I'm really anxious to see what results may come from the changes and the addition of supplements to my diet. I'm not bothered with the diagnosis because it's a real, valid understanding of my issues. I just want to know how I can feel better, look better, and maybe someday have babies. I feel much better after today's appointment.
After the doctor's appointment, I got my hairs cut. I'm not sure I like it. I'll know after I wash my hair. She straightened it, like all the hairdressers do, and I never wear it straight so I need to see what it looks like when my hair is natural. I really hope it pleases me. I need to start having good hair cut experiences again. It's been nearly 3 years. That's a long time to be in a bad relationship with your hair.
No comments:
Post a Comment