I went into school today for the miniscule amount of time between the end of the seminar and the time they closed up the building, and I think I accomplished a lot. There is still LOADS to do, but I actually was able to get it looking like a functional classroom. The desks are in order, at least. Also, my rockstar boyfriend went to Home Depot and got me an 8'x4' piece of showerboard to serve as a whiteboard and delivered it to my room. I had to deal with chalk for the last 3 years and I was finally able to get a "whiteboard" so I don't have to go nuts over the incredible amount of dust that accumulates, the itchy hands, and breaking pieces of chalk as I am writing. I have wanted a dry erase board for years, but have never been lucky enough to land a classroom with one pre-installed. I researched online and it turns out shower board works. The board, 3 clamps to hold it up, and Kaboom cleaner (the recommended cleaner) ran less than $20. An actual white board, measuring 2 feet less in width, retails for $250. The only drawback is that the marker doesn't come off as well. By November, I might have fallen out of love with it because of the "ghosting" issue, but I'm hopeful this advanced cleaner he picked up will help with that effect. I won't be able to get in to my classroom again til Monday, as the school will open and close during the last day of my seminar tomorrow. I'll be there bright and early Monday morning, though, to get jumpstarted before the first Kindergartner arrives to be pre-assessed for the new year! It will be a cute day. A 5-year old meeting you for the first time as their new teacher is pretty darn priceless.
I think I found a bike for myself! I wanted a cruiser with at least 7 speeds and fenders for less than $100. I managed to do all of that, I think, except for the price. found a vintage one for $40, but it's on Whidbey Island so it requires me to pay for a ferry ticket both ways and it's been in storage for 15 years so it will need a $50-$60 tuneup, and it will need to be repainted. The paint is supposed to be in good condition, but I don't want a brown bike. I'm not sure if I'll paint it silver or hot pink, but Josh has agreed to help me. Anyway, all the updates and pick up costs are going to drive me over my $100 goal, but I don't think I can find anything cheaper. $40 is pretty darn good. I haven't found anything less than $150 that meets my criteria. The only thing I need to determine is whether or not the bike is the right size for me. I forgot to ask when I called to claim it, so I am waiting for him to return my voicemail and confirm. Just in case, here's the bike as it is now. In other words, these are the BEFORE pictures:

No comments:
Post a Comment