When it rains in Seattle (because it isn't every day like we might have you think it is!), my kids don't get to play outside. Even though I fully believe rain can't hurt them and shouldn't prevent their play time, the school's reluctance is based on how wet they get and will have to remain for the rest of the day if we give in. Rainy day recess means a lot of pent up energy and a shorter lunch break for teachers. Needless to say, we are not fans of rainy day recess at my school. :(
This morning, it rained, but closer to lunchtime, the sun was making its way out from behind the clouds. I heard one of my little ones making up a song as I passed by her desk during morning work time. I can't remember it entirely, but this part sticks in my brain and I thought it was kind of a catchy tune:
Sunshine, sunshine,
won't you stay
You're the reason
I get to play
Too cute! I decided we are going to write a class song tomorrow about the sun. Then we are going to make butterfly art to solidify their understanding of symmetry.
I cut out 25 identical butterfly shapes from white construction paper so each will have a butterfly of their own. Then I will give them 3 dabs of paint to share with their table partners. They can use the paint with cotton balls to paint one winged side of the butterfly, then we will fold the butterfly in half and open them again so the same image they painted on one side will appear on the other. To complete the project, I will give them each a pipe cleaner to cut in half, then they will poke each half into the top of the head of the butterfly to serve as the butterfly's attenae.
I'll read Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar to them again in the morning to refresh their memory of key words like metamorphosis and cocoon. Then we'll have a great display for the wall in the hall outside of our room as well.
Yay for a creative day!
I'm off to take Lulu out for a quick play time before I jet off to Pilates.
1 comment:
Awww! You are a great teacher! That sounds like a really fun activity. :)
Post a Comment