Friday, April 3, 2009

rumbles in my tumbles

This week has been non-stop! Mom and Dad visiting has been so much fun and I'm really sad to have to take them to the airport in 9 short hours (most of which I'll be sleeping away, I hope!). Currently, my belly is uncomfortably bulging with an incredibly yummy dinner from Oceanaire. I can't believe it was $270 for the four of us, but it was truly delish so I can accept it. Unfortunately, though, I'd like to throw it all up with the discomfort I feel in my overstuffed tummy. Seriously. Eating well and overdoing it are two different things. I'll have to keep this in mind in the future. It's been a long time since I've eaten that much in one sitting and I don't ever want to eat again at this point. My workout plan MUST start tomorrow without fail. I'm extra motivated since I tried on clothes for the last two days, depressed with the state of my body under those harsh flourescent lights they have in dressing rooms. Whoever thought that was a good idea, btw? Low, romantic lighting is the only way clothing stores will ever be successful at stimulating the economy!

We have done so much this week and it was the best distraction from the state of affairs of my personal life. I really do love having family around me. Too bad it's only once in a great while. In the next few days, I may try to record our adventures. If mom and dad upload the pics from their visit, I'll have a photo essay to add as well.

Josh got a letter from his old company's lawyer today. They are threatening to sue him if he doesn't close his business or at least relocate it and operate at least 30 miles outside of the Metro area. He signed a non-compete when he started with them, but I fail to see how Josh's one-man operation is competition for a 20-man million $ empire. The stupid economy is to blame for this greed, but of course I am affected emotionally by this situation. I have always defended his old boss while Josh and his old coworkers criticized him and said he was greedy and unethical. I never expected he would have pulled this. It's wrong. Josh is struggling to make his company successful, and it has not made any kind of real profit yet. In all honesty, it will probably never be of the magnitude that this guy's company has reached after 27 years. If it is, it will take him nearly just as long, I'm sure. I suppose J should take it as a compliment that there is a fear he will actually threaten a million dollar business with his skill and business sense. All in all, though, it's a pain in the butt. According to the letter, Josh has 14 days to close his business. If he doesn't comply, they will take legal action. This means legal fees and having to put a hold on his business during the "fight". There's a good chance Josh could win since it's not likely the non-compete contract will hold up in court. But if Josh has to even put his business on hold, it's a bad situation for him financially. If Josh can't do this work, I don't know what he'll do. He's not really skilled to do anything else and the economy isn't such that he can just go get any random job. The non-compete says he can't work for anyone in the same industry either, meaning he can't even do the work for someone else...not that there are jobs available. In the morning, he'll be contacting free legal advice to see what the options are. We'll worry about things then, I suppose, but that isn't stopping me from thinking ahead. Worse case scenario is that he'll have to move in order to continue to do the same work/have the same business. It's not an impossible scenario but it sure isn't ideal. That means starting over essentially and the market in another area is an uncertain one. Not to mention that he'd have to figure out where he would want to live. If we stay together, that means I'd be moving too. Since I'm not exactly employed yet for next year, that would be feasible for me. BUT, again, it wasn't an expected plan. With the recent talk we had, my mind is not prepared to consider picking up and moving away with him, even if it's only an hour or two from here. We had considered a move to a cheaper area once before, but that idea had kind of been laid to rest. We decided we liked it here and I have a good chance of getting re-hired in this school district. Who knows what my chances would be elsewhere with the job market being what it is? Ugh.

Maybe my tummy is gurgling with more than a food baby. Stress makes for a pretty unhappy tum, too. I'm going to try to sleep and put my mind to rest. I have a feeling Friday is going to be a day for which I'll need to be well-rested.

No comments: